May 12, 2010

Charity of the Month: May 2010

This month was originally earmarked for my alma mater, but as it is wont to do (note: yes that is a real phrase), the weather decided to change my plans.  I don't know if you know or not, but Nashville was under water last week.  Not just a little bit of water, either, but a LOT of water.  It didn't seem to get much attention from the news, although since I gave up TV completely (!!!) I guess I'm not the best judge of the news.

Remember my Nashy roommate Babs?  She had relatives in town and was visiting the Opryland Hotel... this is the inside of Opryland:

So imagine what happened to her car:
It was completely submerged!  Fortunately, she was evacuated with the rest of the hotel guests and didn't experience any bodily harm.  She said she was just getting ready to leave when they were evacuated - I'm thankful that she wasn't on the road.

Sadly, others didn't fare so well, and there are parts of the city that are going to be drying out for a long time.  So at the suggestion of some friends who are there, I split my monthly donation between the Nashville/Middle TN chapters of two well-known relief agencies: the Red Cross and Second Harvest.  You can visit their websites for updates on what they are doing, and to DONATE, too.  Please!


1 comment:

Collins said...

we were in nashville last weekend. west nashy out toward the loveless cafe is just devastated. ensworth high school has beach volleyball courts of silt instead of tennis courts. it's just amazingly sad.

but that town is very resilient. i didn't see a single person moping or complaining. just checking on their neighbors and coping. kim and i donated to HON (http://www.hon.org) while we were there. they're gonna need a lot of help to get back to being normal. thanks for giving la.