May 26, 2010

Travel Tribulations

I think by now everyone knows I’m a little accident-prone.  Not major accidents, fortunately, but the embarrassing, really stupid or inconvenient accidents or mishaps – sometimes my fault, sometimes my dumb luck.

So let me tell you about my week.

The college I work for is a part of a consortium of really strong colleges from across the country, and this consortium travels together to host 40-college fairs for high school students and counselors in cities around the country.

This week I was fortunate to be able to represent the college for three stops of the consortium’s May tour.  I flew from Pittsburgh to Orlando, Orlando to Bethesda, drove from Bethesda to Philadelphia and back, and then flew from Baltimore to Pittsburgh.  I’ve been a jet-setter this week, it’s been a little crazy.

It doesn’t help that stupid stuff happens to me.

Surprisingly, everything was really fine on the first leg of the trip – the flight was simple, the rental car pickup was easy, and my GPS got me to the right hotel.  The only challenge was looking for dinner... I wanted a local café so I used Google to find one, and there were these “Nature's Table” café’s apparently all over the place near my hotel.  So I got in the car, plugged in the GPS, and started driving... only to not find any evidence of the café, just an office complex.  So I thought, well maybe this one closed, let’s check the GPS for something else.  GPS told me there was another one less than .5 miles away, so I tried that, figuring sometimes little restaurants will move to a slightly more convenient but close location.  No dice.  I tried it 2 more times (all very close, all leading me to office complexes).  I think maybe Nature’s Table was one of those café’s that exist only in office buildings... which is weird because they even have a Facebook fan page! 

Leaving Orlando, though, I got to the airport 2 hours earlier than the recommended 2 hours early, so I had a lot of time to kill.  No problem, I ended up finishing my book and hanging out.  The plane rolls into BWI at 9:00 at night, without my luggage.  Ugh!  They had 4 hours to get my suitcase on the right plane!  But this is kind of cool – Southwest would either pay me $50 to go get something to eat and stay until the 10:40 plane from Orlando arrived, presumably (but not certainly) carrying my luggage, OR they could give me a little travel toiletries case, send me off to my hotel, and deliver my luggage when it came in.

Since they couldn’t be certain my suitcase was on the late plane, I didn’t want to stay around and get grumpier by the minute, so I left and went to my hotel.  When I got there, there were drunk kids in togas congregating by the hotel elevators... grrreat.  Not.  Lots of drunken noise in my hallway that night, and while they called at 11:30 to tell me my suitcase had arrived and would be delivered overnight, I still had to sleep in the t-shirt I wore all day (actually, as the case may be... two days in a row... I was trying to pack light!).

Now, get this one... here’s the backstory: I bought a new bottle of makeup last week because I used up my old one.  Somehow, between Pittsburgh and Orlando this brand-new glass bottle of liquid makeup got a crack in it – not a leaking crack, but a visible one nevertheless.  This is weird, because I have dropped these bottles many times and they have never so much as chipped, so I thought I’d better put the makeup in a plastic bag in case it was roughed-up on the plane again.

My luggage finally makes it to Baltimore in the morning and I get out my makeup bag, and in the process of removing the makeup bottle from its new protective plastic bag, I fumble and it drops on the floor in slo-mo.  Suddenly the white floor is now the color of Almay Buff 140.  $13 on the bathroom floor in Bethesda, MD.  Great.

So then it was off to Philadelphia the next day, no problems.  Getting ready for the final college fair, I got out my last business jacket to wear and was ironing it when I discovered something weird: brown stains all over the back right shoulder of my navy-and-white jacket!  It took me a few minutes, but I finally got some idea what it might be: a week ago, when I wore it last, I remember walking from my car to the office, slightly late as usual (see: snooze problem), with my umbrella, two shoulder bags, high heels, and my coffee travel mug.  I didn’t have any free hands but I had to adjust one of the bags over my shoulder, so I used my coffee mug hand – with coffee mug still in it – to try to fix the bag.  I remember thinking it felt like my shoulder was wet, but not really finding any evidence of anything when I investigated... probably just rain.

So now it turns out that all day long, I had COFFEE stains on my SHOULDER BLADE.  How RIDICULOUS is that?!  I really hope it will come out in the wash.  Fortunately I had a nice t-shirt-like shirt I could wear instead of the jacket, but it wasn’t how I would have chosen to present myself in that venue.

Is this typical for me or what?

I’m currently sitting in the BWI airport typing this, so there are still about 6 hours to go until I’m safely home, unpacked, and out of ridiculousness’ way.  Again, I was 4 hours early getting here, just because I didn’t have anything else to do and wanted to make sure I got here without traffic problems (see, I do try to work with my challenges), and I hope my luggage makes it home.

Update: I’ve been home for a day now since writing this, and there were no problems whatsoever!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, La! How do you do these things?!
At least you got where you needed to be (except for the restaurant) which hasn't always been the case. Aren't you the big fan of Tide to Go?
Love Mom