May 31, 2009

Charity of the Month: May 09

This one's simple - it was basically decided for me before the month even started.

I gave 2/3 of my monthly allotment to my alma mater: Elizabethtown College! Their motto is Deus Lux et Veritas, or "Educate for Service," in case you didn't know. :-) I think I got a great education there and I do inted to support them throughout my lifetime. Perhaps next year I will give my full monthly budget to them, but I was still debating whether I wanted to make that jump this year when I received another request for money that was needed this month..

My nana is part of a group (the Red Hat Ladies, I'm sure you've seen them) raising funds for Access York, which is a wonderful organzation in my hometown that works to provide services and safe shelter to victims of domestic violence and empower those victims to take control of their lives. I have to admit that I did not do my research on this one, simply because when your nana asks you for money, you give it, no questions asked! If you're interested, you can learn more about Access York at http://www.access-york.org/.

In related news, I found it very interesting to give two very similar organizations in the same month, because the stewardship that each one commences following the donation is extremely different. I have definitely found The Nature Conservancy to be my favorite charity of the two (perhaps of all of the ones I have given to thus far) and intend to support them again in the future.

And in completely unrelated news, in the shower this evening I discovered that I'd pulled out the longest, whitest hair I have ever seen come out of my head. I'm appalled.

No comments: