March 1, 2009

The Day of the Blue Screen of Death...ish

Last night before I went to bed, I was trying to get my computer to do its Windows Update thing. But it wouldn't completely install, so I force-quit and went to bed.

This morning, I turned on my computer to what was eerily similar to The Blue Screen of Death - all of my personal settings were gone, including my docs, and my background was no longer a pretty mountaintop scene but rather... the default bright blue Dell background.

I didn't panic as much as I would have before I got my external hard drive for Christmas, but I was pretty upset. Fortunately, a restart was all it needed. Weird? I mean, this computer has all of my academic work on it since high school... turns out I am a packrat even of the electronic variety of stuff. But seriously... those papers represent valuable time spent, it would not be easy for me to part with them.

It's been an eventful day since those first 10 minutes of being awake. Eventually I made my way up to Erie, on a mission to get my dress for J's wedding. The girl helping me really made me mad. I knew what I needed in terms of the dress and the color, just not the size, but of course at DB's you have to have an assistant. So I told her I was usually a size + or ++, and she goes "ok well I'll give you a ++, +++, and a ++++. Someone came in here earlier today asking for a size ++ and ended up leaving with a size +++++."

Ok... but that's not what I asked for. I know my sizes! I ended up trying on the smallest size she gave me (in this system, the ++)... and it was, of course, too big. So I had to walk barefoot, half-naked trying to hold up the dress, out into the showroom to get my size + myself because she wasn't paying any attention to me. And it fit (well, as much as a tea-length dress that actually grazes my ankles can fit). I'm convinced they were trying to make me get a bigger size so that I would have to get it altered. Annoying!!

After that, I stopped at Barnes and Noble for a latte... and while I was there, I browsed a bunny book. I am seriously considering adopting a rabbit this summer. I have had it in my head since my childhood bunny, Charlie, died in high school that when I am settled I will get another bunny, and what good is it to sit around wanting a rabbit when all I have to do now is make it happen? I mean, how much more settled can I expect to need to be? It would be nice to have a little apartment companion munchin' on some oatmeal with me.

Saturday morning there was actually a bunny sitting outside my window underneath the 2nd-floor apartment's porch, chewing grass with his butt toward me, watching the sun come up - it was really darling. There's a cute little guy on PetFinder at this moment, as a matter of fact, who is calling my name... but I don't want to rush into this without fully thinking it through. What do you think? Oh, just look at him.. he's even got a video: http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=13012345

So, that was my day. Started with (Blue Screen of) Death, ended with bunnies. Actually, it is going to end with applications, because I have a large stack to read by Tuesday that I haven't cracked into yet. I like what I do, but I'm looking forward to a hypothetical, far-off breather from this intense phase of the admissions cycle...

No comments: