February 23, 2009

HP4

I'm reading the Harry Potter series for the first time ever - pretty much back-to-back. And I have to say, I am thoroughly disappointed. I expected an uncontrollable obsession to overcome me... and I feel largely apathetic. I mean, they're intriguing and very enjoyably creative, but I'm just not overly wowed. Perhaps it's because so far I'm on book 4, which means I've seen all of the corresponding movies thus far. I've never been one to want to repeat a story, so that could be it.

I'd also like to add, though, that I am annoyed with how dark and scary it is getting. I hate suspense, I hate cold hard murder. And I'm getting both of that thrown at me now. Not good, HP, not good.

5 comments:

Collins said...

uhmmm, if you don't like darkness, suspense and cold hard murder, you're gonna hate the sixth book. and probably the seventh too...

Sip said...

Maybe you should read "On The Road" instead. Then tell me about it so that I have something to talk about at book club next week :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

sorry it's not enough Disney for you sis :)

Anonymous said...

Ah, yes. My daughter who loves Disney only and hates anything sad.
But I think maybe because you already know the story actually destroys the story. Part of our love of the books was trying to figure out what was going to happen next--who was the bad guy, who was going to die next. I loved the way the young characters interacted and learned about love and life. And all the amazing imaginary happenings. But a kid's book it is not. Love Mom