So it's spring break here at VU, and I am irritated. Sadly, it's not a sand-in-my-bikini irritation, or sunburn irritation. I'm working this week because, well, it's what I do. And I know I'm overreacting, but I got very annoyed on Monday when several people at work said to me: "what are you doing here? You're supposed to be on spring break!" Well let's see here... when I don't work, I don't get paid. And I have thousands and thousands of dollars of education debt because I have to pay for my Peabody degree instead of getting my tuition paid by the college for the work that I do, which would be different if I had gone to any other school. It just kind of rubs in the fact that I'm cheap student labor, not a real employee with benefits or paid time off, even though I put in right around 30 hours every week and work very hard, and have a bachelor's degree (and a decent amount of relevant experience in this field) and almost my master's. Rrrrgh.
I love my job, and I think I made the right school choice based on the education that I wanted, so it's okay... but it stings when I'm reminded of my lowly status on the totem pole, and my poor financial decision to come to here. The fabled 'real world' can start any day now...
Bonus: I do get to go to Boston for a conference this weekend for an extended stay and I am treating it as my vacation, even though it is technically for professional purposes... but of course it will cost more than I would make if I stay and work. Oh, life. Can you tell that my pending money situation (re: loan repayment) is stressing me out?
March 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Poor Baby--Welcome to the real world!
Your lousy parents wouldn't pay for your grad degree? What's wrong with them! And then they retire and fly all over the country while you slave away. But you only have about 40 more years to work! Love Mom
Ouch on the above comment! But speaking as a like-minded someone trudging through student loan debt, I'm sure you can handle it when you're finished. Courage to pursue what you want is a way better investment because you know it will pay out over the long term.
Post a Comment