February 6, 2008

Super Fat Tuesday

You may know that a tremendous storm system rolled through the South this past week. Being Fat Tuesday and Super Tuesday, it was already quite the day. I took donuts to work in celebration of Fasnacht Day and we had King Cake from the Dean in Mardi Gras fashion, so that covered the fat part. All we heard about news-wise during the day was election talk; when I went to a 4-hour diversity workshop in the evening, it seemed like the sky was getting dark but I was otherwise clueless. The ride home was rainy, but it wasn't until tornado warnings flashed onto the screen while we were watching election results that we realized it might be serious.

Now, I could tell you a dramatic story about my tornado experience... but that wouldn't be fair. The long and short of it was that Nashville's experience was nothing, particularly in comparison to other parts of the state. The news channels' weather reports predicted 3-4 waves of storm, and the first "super cell" did seem to affect our area a bit - Lauren and I closed ourselves off in our hallway for about 5 minutes (that's how fast the storms moved through) - but the rest of the evening there wasn't even any wind. Our house is old and run-down and we wouldn't want to be in our bedrooms if a tornado did come our way (and our house was always on the edge of the tornadoes' predicted paths) so we stayed up until 2:30 watching the weather to make sure we wouldn't have to take shelter. So, we were fine - thank you to those who called to make sure. I do have to say that I very much dislike the weather down here: not only do we not get snow in the winter, but we get rain, cold and cloudy days, and tornadoes. Ugh! Insert whiny voice here.

Sadly, because of the anxiety of that evening, I didn't really get to enjoy my last night (until Easter) with the love of my life - chocolate. That's right... I gave it up again this year for Lent. You're supposed to give up something that would be really difficult and that you'll really have to think about, and as far as I can see this is my thing. Dad gives up desserts entirely - I don't know how I would do this (at this very moment, I am baking a pound cake haha) but maybe I'll get there someday. Babs' friend Danny gives up condiments - ponder that one for a moment. So anyway, this means you shouldn't bother to send me chocolate for Valentine's Day, but kudos if you were going to. Heh.

1 comment:

Collins said...

chocolate again, huh? you are a brave, god-loving woman. i myself am participating in lent this year for the first time in a long time. so while you are shunning the chocolatey goodness, i am avoiding red meat. that's right, no steak or *gasp* hamburgers for me until april.

glad you all are safe after the storms. that "in like a lion" thing is very true in this part of the country. but look on the bright side. it just means that the "out like a lamb" part will be here sooner.