August 16, 2006

Whew.

Well, I have been busy. My job at the Law School started on Monday for half a day - the perks so far are fabulous, I got free breakfast and lunch that day! ;-P But no, seriously... I'm so excited about the job. The Law School is like its own little self-contained school, almost a separate entity entirely from Vanderbilt itself, so it has its own Registrar, Alumni Relations, Admissions, Deans of Everything, etc., so it's going to be a great learning experience. The building itself is gorgeous, everyone is ridiculously helpful and understanding, and with my job I get to meet and advise tons of future lawyers - very cool. Right now I'm almost more excited for the job than for the classes!
After work I walked around the Vanderbilt campus (got my ID card, and of course had to visit the bookstore). Here are pictures of the gorgeous campus:

And like I said, the Law School itself is beautiful... this is one of the granite stones out in front of the campus side entrance:
(Ok I got digi-happy...I'm glad I figured out how to make the pictures bigger on here, too)
So I'm not doing a lot of working this week yet, they want to give me time to settle in and get my homework done for this class I have on Friday/Saturday (luckily my book came today, I have to read it in its entirety by Friday, plus tons of not-yet-interesting articles). Yesterday after I registered for Vandy parking (ummm $200-something to park not even close to my job and only semi-close to my classes... it's like parking at the Etown Quads and walking to Schlosser pretty much, with no guarantee of a parking spot if other people get there first) Sarah and I went grocery shopping...
(you're reading that right... VALET PARKING at the grocery store... and they play Frank Sinatra music in the Kroger to boot)
So all three of us cooked (chicken, mushroom rice, and corn on the cob) last night and had a delicious sit-down meal at our cute little kitchen IKEA table. And on that note, our apartment is b-e-a-utiful, hopefully it will get some visitors (a Nashville New Year's maybe?). The upstairs people play a lot of music and a BMW outside constantly is setting off its alarm, but it does't even matter.
I spent most of today in the Peabody Library (Peabody is my campus, you can see the main part of campus in the picture below, that's the Wyatt Center and then behind the trees on all of the sides are the academic buildings, the library, and I think possibly some sophomore dorms).














For work I went to the picnic for the 1L (law school jargon for 1st-year law school students, apparently) this evening. Honestly, it was such a breath of fresh air - I got to talk with a bunch of motivated, focused, mature, intelligent men (didn't meet too many of the girls, I think it's a ratio that's opposite of Etown) who had really fascinating stories and opinions. It's nice to carry on an adult conversation, or even to just sit and listen to them talk - oh, also while drinking free beer from kegs supplied by the school, talk about perks... apparently they have free kegs almost every Friday then. Haha goodness, this is different, but fun!

Well, I feel like I had more to say, but I'm worn out and I have a ton more reading to do, so that's all!

Til the banana splits,
La <3

No comments: