September 12, 2011

mountains, rocks, trees, rain, rocks, and rocks. and mud.

I can't remember ever feeling strongly one way or the other about camping when I was younger.  My dad tells a great story about me getting flooded out in a tent at night while he was having fun around the fire, but I don't remember that so I don't remember hating it.  I do remember disliking long hikes when I was younger.  It was a strong dislike.

On top of one of the lookouts at Hawk Mountain

My feelings towards being out in nature in general changed when I became a camp counselor for a week the summer after college.  One night on the dock of a quiet lake looking up at the heavens will do that for you, I guess, and I had several of those nights.

His pride and joy!

We decided a few weeks ago that we wanted to go camping before the summer ended, and booked a quick trip to the area around Hawk Mountain preserve, just an hour and a half away.  I didn't appreciate Hawk Mountain enough when I was younger; this trip, I really enjoyed it.  We took one long hike at the mountain on Saturday of Labor Day weekend, and one long hike around the campsite on Sunday.

I contributed valuable twigs to the flames.  Super important.  Yup.

I have a few takeaways from this trip for you.

First, if you are ever going on long hikes, get a CamelBak.  It's this great little pack that carries your water, with the weight spread out over your shoulders so it never feels like a burden.  It also carries lunch and some basics, and you don't have to take it off to take a drink.  I bought these for us as super-early Christmas presents when we decided to go camping, and man was it worth it.  Even AK, who was skeptical about the necessity of the CamelBak, was really happy to have his.

We were sweaty beasts after the climb up that trail in the mist.  This is my stance of triumph, which was before I slipped on a rock and bruised both palms, a shoulder, a hip, and a shin.  The mountain won.

Second.  Ah, the second point.  I really debated whether I would share this publicly, but ultimately I feel like it is my duty to share my newfound knowledge.  My source will remain nameless, but I am forever indebted.  Do you know the best way to pee in the woods if you're a girl?  I thought it involved a squat, and that was the only way, which just seems like you're asking for a mess and a leg cramp.  I'm telling you now - forget about squats.

All you have to do is find a small but sturdy fallen tree that is 2-3 feet off the ground, running parallel to the ground, and kind of clean.  Not too barky.  No ant trails marching across it.  This sounds specific, but you may recall that you're in a forest.  Then you send a lookout up the trail, drop trou, and sit on the tree and go off the back of it.  Bury your tissue if you use one.  No fuss, no mess.  Dunzo.  So easy, I managed it more than once; it was the first time I'd peed in the wild in... bah.  Ever?  You're welcome.

Moving on...

Big river of rocks running up the middle of the campground!

Another tip: if your tent is 20 years old and pulling apart a bit at the seams, make sure you give it a good waterproofing spray before you go.  It might survive a teensy rain shower the first night, but if the heavens open up and give you a thunder, lightening, rain, and wind storm the last night you're there, you're in trouble.

And to end on a more pleasant note: a great meal for camping is soup, made ahead and frozen to act as extra ice for the cooler.  This one was delicious, served with some nice crusty bread and s'mores.


Now take a hike!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What about the story of when you wore all white? :-)

I have been wondering where that rock field is for a long time. I remembered going to it but not where it was. Thanks! I want to go because I remember having fun jumping from rock to rock.