September 11, 2011

devastation

My next blog post was going to be a recap of my Labor Day camping trip with AK, and maybe that will still be my next post; however, something happened this weekend that I need to share.  I gave up Twitter and Facebook for a little while (and mostly haven't missed them - willpower prevails sometimes!), so I turn to my blog to express my sadness.

Yesterday morning, while I was showering, I was listening to music on my iPod dock - per usual.  When I was out and doing my hair, a song came on that I didn't recognize so I pushed the wheel so it would illuminate and tell me who was playing.

Nothing happened.  Blank screen of death.  But the music was still playing.  Once I futzed around with it for a while, the music wouldn't even play.

You may remember my iPod, nicknamed Holland because I bought it right after the Olympics and it looks like the Holland skating team.  Unlike my car, Pedro, I don't refer to my iPod in daily conversation by its nickname, though.  That's an honor reserved for Pedro.  I know it's just a thing, an object, which in the grand scheme of things shouldn't be that important.  In the grand scheme of things, something so much worse could have happened.  I have my health, my job, my family and friends.  I realize this is not that big of a deal.

But I love this thing; I live by this thing.  It's with me when I'm cooking.  It's with me when I'm cleaning.  I listen to it in the shower, when I'm driving, when I'm eating.  I can't work out without it.  The only times I don't have it switched on is when I'm around other people, out of politeness, or when I am reading.  It is my constant companion.

The Genius at the second Apple Store I went to yesterday (yep, I'm that devastated - the first one couldn't fit me in right away so I went to another one) somehow miraculously made it come back to life, but with little lines across the screen like it had had for a few weeks.  Turns out something's broken inside, and for a hefty fee I can get a replacement.  Holland 2, I guess.

I've determined that it's worth it (I'll pull a little money out of the Fund for Pedro 2, I guess.  No, I don't actually call my bank account that - I am somewhat sane).  I took it home and it worked again for a while, but now it's completely on the fritz.  I have a Genius Bar appointment for tomorrow.

This thing brings me joy, keeps me happy.  Since I don't watch TV, podcasts are my news source and music is my entertainment.  Isn't it funny that a thing can have such a gigantic, person-like role to play in our lives?

RIP little Holland.

No comments: