January 15, 2010

A great debate

I've been angry about something lately. Like, burning mad internally every time I think rationally about this matter. It all started last week, when I realized that almost all of my favorite TV shows were starting this month... and I resented the amount of time TV would take from my life if I watched all of them.

I mean, really. I am a new Biggest Loser fan - on one hand it's silly to watch overweight people sweat and stand on scales, but on the other hand it's inspirational to see people truly improve their lives. I'm also a long-time Project Runway fan, and that started this week. And thanks to one Nashville roomie of mine, I also have been watching American Idol almost religiously the past few years.

If I watch all of these shows in one week, I would average 7 hours of TV per week on just evening shows alone. That's almost a full work day of the limited time I have to not spend working. I also watch the Today Show and music videos in the morning while I'm getting ready, random things if I come home for lunch, and snippets of several other networks, often involving wedding dresses or food competitions. [It's interesting to note, when looking at this list, that with the exception of music videos, I only watch reality or reality-based shows. What does that say about me??]

And so two weeks ago, when I realized this, my gut reaction was "oh my gosh, I am going to have zero time for anything else I want to do."

And then I thought... wait. Who exactly is in charge here?

You know how you have a list of things you want to do with your life, or things you want to be? Some people write them down, but almost everyone at least has ideas in their heads. I doubt anyone has on their list "I want to make sure I spend a significant amount of time sitting in my living room watching other people do things."

Add to this the fact that I pay approximately $55 a month for TV services alone, not taking into account the electricity used.

This all just completely outrages me. I am in control of my life, but yet my gut instinct is that I have no control over my TV watching; I like these shows, they're all on in the same season, I'm their slave.

So for a few days, focusing on the paying-for-something-that's-not-a-necessity factor, I tossed around the idea of canceling TV altogether and just relying on free internet TV or even subscribing to my favorite shows on iTunes (still cheaper)... until I did my research and realized that most of my favorite shows aren't show in full episodes free online and aren't actually downloadable on iTunes. And I felt completely controlled by TV again, and kind of let it go. I mean, it would be so inconvenient anyway to have to look things up online.

But I'm getting angry again. And what I'm thinking about now is giving up TV for Lent, and canceling my TV during that time so that I really truly give it up - and save that money, too. And since I'm billed monthly at the beginning of the month, this would mean giving it up for February, March, and April.

How's that? And could I really do it? And what would my parameters be? I'm ok giving up my three big evening shows - American Idol is tiring me out, and there's a good chance I'll be able to catch Project Runway and Biggest Loser either in reruns or online after Easter. But is that cheating? And would it be cheating if I watched Biggest Loser and other shows online that are free? Do I abstain from TV on the internet, and TV in my living room, and TV when I'm at someone else's place? And man, I would really miss my morning music videos.

And would I actually use my newfound time to do something else that I really want to do with my life? Or would I waste it window-shopping on the internet like I am wont to do? I know I would do my work more, but is that how I want to spend my time, too?

I'm in the early phases of considering this, and I think I need to make a decision before February so I can call to cancel my cable, but I am very serious in my consideration of the matter. Thoughts??

3 comments:

Sarah Erickson said...

I haven't had cable in 2+ years and I don't really miss it. In Nashville, I had to buy one of those converter things for my old tv when everything switched to digital. The picture on regular (NBC, CBS, FOX, etc.) channels was actually pretty good. I didn't really watch regular programming though - just an odd football game or news program.

Can you get an antenna signal where you live? If so, that might be a good option. That way you can still watch the Today show and other network shows without spending the money.

I've found that if I don't have cable, I don't watch tv as much. I don't miss my "shows" either. I read, cook, call friends, and yes, aimlessly surf the internet.

Just my two cents!

La said...

Thanks Sarah, that's actually very helpful information! I didn't even think of just dropping cable and going to network. I don't think I have any service without a box - I didn't when I first moved here anyway, and I don't have rabbit ears on my tv. But I really like this idea a lot, I think you might inspire me to try this route first.

I'd only miss my music videos! :-)

Anonymous said...

Hey La, don't forget the Winter Olympics are on in February! And don't forget they may charge hookup/startup or whatever charges they might possible think up. You just might want to turn the set off for a month or two to see how that goes. I'm not sure you could live without your reality! Love Mom