Home Depot.
Oh yes, I now have house projects in my life - who would have thought the day would come. The first matter of importance was my peace lily... jokingly referred to around here as our love lily, because he bought it for me and the whole thing is reminiscent of How to Lose A Guy in 10 Days ("you killed our love fern!!"). And, really well, I was killing our love lily.
It was drooping, it was still in its original soil, and it wasn't properly hydrated, apparently. And I'm incapable of making super-important big decisions like which plant pot to buy and what kind of soil to use (and which color towel, what kind of curtains, what thread-count sheets, etc.), so I tend to put those things off. Fortunately for me, he is really good at making me focus and make those decisions, so I couldn't do this without him. Seriously, incapable.
We also had to stain my kitchen cart that I bought in July. It's fine as-is, but it looks very naked because it's a pale unfinished wood that sets right next to my darker kitchen table. Here's the before shot:
I've never stained anything before except for clothing, and carpets, and upholstery, and... well, nothing that I meant to stain, so this was a first. I tell you I spent an hour in Home Depot a few weeks ago trying to get the supplies myself, but only walked out with sand paper. But we spent maybe 30 minutes there this week together and we got the soil, the plant pot, the stain, the stain primer, and the brush. Amazing what some moral support can do. Did I mention the sand paper I got really wasn't the right sand paper?
Well anyway, we spent the afternoon doing this, and now it looks like this:
Pretty cool, huh? Except that it's kind of rough-feeling because the sand paper was wrong and the sealant didn't really seal that roughness in enough to be smooth. Oh well, you win some.
And back to the bison! Once we were done with this, we put the plant in its place and came in started cooking. I took care of the potatoes and green beans (all locally-grown by my CSA farmer) and he seared the meat. Bison is pretty good - and it's good for you, so I hear - and it's good to eat local. Win-win-win.
We followed that up with a nice long and strenuous hike with some Etown friends. So I'm turning old and domestic, but I am finally crossing things off of my long-term to-do list and it feels great.
It was a good weekend. :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment