March 20, 2009

Beans, beans, they're good for your heart...

I've been really into black beans lately, so I wanted to find some recipes that would use them as a main ingredient. Turns out it's hard to find a black bean recipe that doesn't involve lots of spices and exotic ingredients, but I did find an interesting soup recipe.

Apparently Bush's beans changed their website recently, because now they have this recipe search site called vegetablewithmore.com, but when I printed the recipe a month ago it had a really pretty picture of the soup with it. The new picture of my soup is now here - check it out.

Now, take a gander at what my soup looked like when I made it...













It's ok if you think that it looks like someone ralphed in my soup bowl, because I totally agree.

It was pretty tasty, though, I will give it that. And points for me for trying something new, right?

2 comments:

M.Gullatta said...

I also have a really easy recipe that relies on black beans! (Well, provided that you're into mexican style food)

It uses:
1 14 oz can of Black Beans, rinsed and drained
1 14 oz can whole kernel corn, drained
1 1/2 cups prepared rice
1 cup salsa
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
vegetable oil.

In a big ol' skillet, heat about 2 tablespoons vegetable oil over medium high heat. Add beans, corn, chili powder, pepper and salt. Cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Stir in salsa, bringing mixture to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes. (If too thick, add 1/2 cup water or chicken stock.)

Add rice, heating mixture though. Serve on tortillas, or just in a bowl as a side dish. Good leftovers.


Nice choice going the healthy route!

MM said...

Beans are also a magical fruit, too. Or so I've heard. (smelt?) :P

Speaking of beans & soup-- here's my new favorite meal: 2 cans Amy's Tuscan Beans & Rice; one pkg of precooked (hormel, purdue, etc) chicken; combine in pot; heat; enjoy! -also good for those who require gluten free food! who'd a thunk i'd try something that healthy.