December 21, 2008

Soaking into every pore

So, I needed to clean my coffeemaker. Andrew had told me that white vinegar will do the job well (and I have corroborated this advice online from several other sources) so I got some today. Poured it into my coffeemaker, and let it go to town while I came in here and worked on cleaning up my computer (only 12% free space! I can't even defragment until it's got 15%!!).

As I'm sitting here, I'm thinking... huh, that's a strange smell. So I go out to my kitchen, and my entire kitchen and living area have a FOG OF WHITE VINEGAR STANK over them. I'm not even kidding. It was taking for-ev-er for the vinegar to work its way through the pot - there was still at least half of what I initially poured in left in the basin, yet the pot was way fuller than it should have been. I mean, for heaven's sake, my coffeepot must have been un-distilling the vinegar. Is it just because it's cheap vinegar?

So, I dumped everything down the drain, followed it with a heavy helping of odor-removing Palmolive, and ran water through the coffeepot now. I had to squint my eyes and close my nose while I was doing this. I honestly think I did some damage - I am smelling white vinegar everywhere, so I must have damaged my nostrils or something. Unless it truly has seeped into every pore in my apartment? The windows are open, the fans are on... it's sick. Sick, sick, sick. I hate the smell of vinegar to start with!

I'm afraid to light my Febreeze candle - I think the whole apartment would go up in flames.

Never again. Never, ever, ever again. Ugh.

At least it did clean the coffeemaker very well.

1 comment:

Andrew K. said...

Of course you had to do additional research to certify I was correct in suggesting this cleaning method. Glad your coffeemaker is now clean!