May 16, 2008

A case of the grays

I should have more insightful... insights after going on my first real-world, in-person job interview... but I'm too tired. I had to fly into Canada for it, so that was an exciting addition to the passport stamp collection (the only other one being Costa Rica for this particular edition of my passport) and was a nice little adventure in crossing the border via car when I drove back into upstate NY. It was a nice visit and I think things went well, and I'll leave it at that so as not to jinx anything. I was worried about things going wrong with the travel more than with the interview. My phone died almost as soon as I hit the road at 11:30 pm on Wednesday night in Canada so that was worrisome - what if Google Maps steered me wrong?! I would have been completely up a creek. At one point I did make a wrong turn and found myself going North (most definitely the wrong direction if one is already above the border and trying to go somewhere within the border), but that was easily corrected, and I crossed into the U.S.A. unscathed. Not long after, when I was almost to my destination, I was about to pass one of those deer warning signs (with the image of a leaping, galloping, frolicking deer) that warned of deer crossing for the next 9 miles when right behind the sign I saw the two beady eyes of a mother deer and two tinier eyes behind her reflecting in my headlights. Well hey, they're not kidding! And that, my friends, startled me enough to raise my blood pressure and curb my speeding habit for the next 9 miles.

Of course, in my hotel while I was reflecting on the fact that I was officially on the final brink before being a grown-up, real, live person, my little patch of gray hairs near my right temple caught the light much more distinctly than normal, as if to truly send that message home. Ah, well.

All in all, all is well, though I feel older than I did just two days ago. And I suppose I should.

No comments: