Even more shameful is the fact that this purchase actually occurred probably a month ago. Gah, I hate myself for it - totally feeding into the premature Christmas-season consumer frenzy. [On balance, I love myself for it because now that's out of the way. Next big hurdle: writing them out. After that: putting addresses on them. After that: actually putting them in the mail instead of setting them on my desk. Everything's a challenge... Also, I only said "on balance" because it seems to be a favorite phrase of one of the authors whose stuff I read for my one class, and I thought I'd test it out. I don't think I like it.]
Anywho.
I HATE when Christmas comes to the stores early. I am fundamentally opposed to it: I am a Christmas Grinch when I've had too much Christmas, and seriously being a Christmas Grinch is a crime, too. No one should get Christmased-out. But it happens, at least to me. I dread the month of 24-hour seasonal songs on the radio (yes, yes, bah humbug... I just can only take so much of the same songs over and over and over again, oftentimes in headache/vomit-inducing versions), and every year it inches more and more into a month and a half. There's just no need for that. And the movies! There are plenty of great Christmas movies, but the 1.5 months before the week of Christmas (that week is excluded, because it includes A Christmas Story, which has unparalleled seasonal, quotable humor) are dominated by bad ones. Although, I do have to concede, maybe I'm just bitter that I haven't had a homework- and stress-free December to actually sit and watch movies since... well, basically birth (...yeah, ok, I'm rounding up a little).
And then here I go, purchasing my Christmas cards before Halloween, fueling the machine like a moron.
November 7, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
LJ-
not only did i buy my christmas cards before halloween, i ordered them online and paid extra for shipping because i really really wanted them (you will, hopefully see why when you get yours in the next couple of weeks). but i refuse to buy gifts until after thanksgiving and i hate myself for it every year.
also, were you quoting thelin in your post? we need to get you out more...
hahaha i can't believe you knew that that was thelin
well, apparently thelin sticks with you. couldn't tell you a darn thing about specific higher education history, but i will forever know his favorite introductory phrase is "on balance"
For a while, I just thought I was crazy about stores displaying christmas earlier and earlier.
Since I found out that I wasn't nuts (at least I Hope i'm not nuts) I've been opposed to doing any shopping before Thanksgiving.
But it's really hard to fight the tempation!
Happy belated Birthday
Post a Comment