August 21, 2007

Playing with colors....

Is this difficult to read? I wanted to add the picture of the butterfly on the whatever-flower (black-eyed susan?) into the background of the title, but that meant I had to change the whole color scheme. If you read about my earlier adventures with curtains and rugs, you know how matching colors and designs makes me cry, so this is a big deal. (Still don't have curtains or a rug, by the way... probably won't, really.)

The picture was taken while Mom and Dad were here, at The Hermitage by Andrew Jackson's burial site. It was a b-e-a-utiful garden, but it was way too daggone hot. I hate hot weather. Despise it. Looooaaaathe it. The joy of working indoors all day is that the hottest part of my day is the 8 minutes it takes my air conditioner in my car to start working on my way home in the afternoon, but those 8 minutes are enough to make me want to die, or at least pull a Shel Silverstein and crawl out of my skin and sit around in my bones.

The thing is, it doesn't even cool off at night. At camp when I was back in the PA mountains for a week, it was hot during the day but at night it was so cold that when we got up for showers at 6:00 a.m. I had to put on my sweats to go to the bathhouse. Here, apparently because Nashville is in a little valley, the heat stays trapped. This valley also gets blamed for the annoying allergies and poor air quality in Nashy, although I have to say for some reason my allergies are a lot better this August than they were when I first arrived. We went to a Sounds game last Thursday and I took a picture of the scoreboard's temperature sign to prove how hot it was... 96 degrees at 8:45 a night, or something to that effect. I'll post the picture later when I get it off of Babs' camera - my temperamental camera got annoying so I'm now a camera mooch.

And of course, the one summer I spend here in Nashville is almost certainly going to go down as the hottest August on record for this city. Am I cursed?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you sure you don't like the heat?
I could have guaranteed you this summer who be the hottest--just because you love it so! You need to open a Snow Barn! Then at least your hands would be cool!

Collins said...

"This valley also gets blamed for the annoying allergies and poor air quality in Nashy, although I have to say for some reason my allergies are a lot better this August than they were when I first arrived."

it's a catch 22 my dear. your allergies aren't as bad because everything you were allergic to is dead due to the extreme heat. so if you had to choose.....