July 12, 2007

I heart visitors, etc.

Jeanette and Justin and Sarah Reddon were here last week! It was wonderful. We gallivanted all around Nashville and surrounding areas, but also took it easy. Game nights, going out, trivia, Jack Daniel's, the usual. But I love them - it's just that Something about best friends that puts the world back in orbit, you know? I'm very thankful for my Elizabethtown College education, but I'm more thankful for my Elizabethtown College experience. I also think it's kind of funny how we all ended up at Etown... no one really grew up saying gosh, Etown is the place for me - it just happened. In fact that's how it happened for almost all of my best friends there, and I am so grateful for their friendship while we were there and their continuing friendship afterwards. Makes me believe a little more in fate, even though reason tells me no matter where I had gone I would have found the right people. But on that note, while they were here we were talking about how our friends we're meeting now who went to other undergraduate institutions just didn't have the supposedly "cult-like" bonding experience with their classmates that many Blue Jays get - so I think Etown is somewhere special and I believe very much in the small school environment.

Enough mush. I want to show you pictures but there are - no joke - hundreds of them, so you only get one for now because I just don't feel like picking the favorites and captioning them and putting them here. Here's the four of us, at The Stage, natch... I'm very sorry that I'm taking over much of the photo:





In other news:
- I just had my first article published in an academic journal... It's just a book review, so it's really not a big deal, but when they actually mailed me three copies of the journal it started to feel kind of cool. I can't read it. I proofed it before I turned it in for class, and I proofed it before it was published, but when I started to read it once I got the journal I just thought I sounded pretentious. Plus just in the first page I re-used the same word, which I hate, but ah well. So, that's cool.

- In more important news, my bedroom door shut completely tonight for the first time since we've been living here. It's usually stuck at the top, the frame just doesn't align - no matter how much I kick it, it just won't go. But tonight I went to close it and it just shut perfectly, without me even trying. What does this mean? Did the ground shift? I'm half-afraid to close it for fear I'll never get out, but let's see what happens shall we? The next blog title: "Bored to tears, nowhere to pee - Life from my bedroom."

- I was at Target tonight, and did you know that they (Hanes, or Champion, or both, or something) make aromatherapy socks? I... I just don't get it.

- Tomorrow I'm flying home for a night and then headed to church camp to be a counselor for a week! I did it last year for the first time and I loved it, so I'm pumped. If you think about it, send me mail in an obnoxiously-decorated envelope... they deliver all mail in front of the campers at lunch and they just go buckwild when the counselors get crazy mail. :-) The address is to me, c/o Wesley Forest, PO Box 35, Weikert PA 17885. I won't have phone service or email for a whole week and it will be glorious. I will return to civilization on Saturday for the Summer 2007 Jacobs Family Backporch Crabfest, which this year includes an appearance from Uncle Rod and The Rossettis (band name, anyone?) and then return to Nashville on the 22nd.

Have a wonderful week!
LJ

p.s. I'm editing this and I can't figure out why the first paragraph double-spaced and the rest didn't? Please excuse the lack of consistency, I didn't do it on purpose. :)

No comments: