I just returned from spending a week as a counselor at Wesley Forest, a United Methodist camp in Weikert, PA, out by Bucknell University. There were around 40 campers, aged 9-13, and 8 of us counselors. It was a grand time - I have lots of stories, but they're better told in person with pictures. I returned with at least 62 visible and itchy bug bites on my body; I don't mean to brag, but bugs are *seriously* in love with me.
I have to say... before I came back for camp, I would tell people that I was going away for a week, but it was to camp so it wasn't exactly a vacation because it takes a lot of energy to be a camp counselor. But I've decided that it's almost the perfect kind of vacation. I didn't blow-dry my hair once all week, and the only makeup I wore was on my eyes simply to make me seem more alert that I really was. I wore bum clothes and soccer flops most of the time. I got pushed into a nasty lake fully-clothed and didn't care. I kayaked for a few minutes in the aforementioned Nasty Lake. I had all meals prepared for me and basically served to me, too. And on the food topic, it was decent stuff and I ate without over-eating and willingly consumed a lot of fruit. I got some exercise from lots of walking. I played and laughed every day. I slid down the largest slip-and-slide I've ever seen. There was always someone to take care of my bruises and bug bites. I made crafts and received crafty gifts. I didn't have to plan my own schedule, and all I had to do was migrate to wherever I was supposed to be with the rest of the crew. I gave and received more hugs than I've had in the past year (I'm not exaggerating). I saw the clearest sky with the most stars that I've seen since last time I was there, and smelled the wonderful scent of trees and nature without hearing traffic nearby. I watched the sun rise over the lake and the mountains in the mornings. And I got to spend 24 hours a day surrounded by God's glory and good people for whom I cared and who cared for me.
There's nothing better!
1 comment:
yeah i feel the same way and now because of all of my bugbites i now have scars EVERYWHERE! no lie..and i dont say this a lot but .I MISS CHURCH CAMP!! well g2g ~lauren~ have fun in tennesee and dont get fried...
Post a Comment