But seriously, retirement. Sigh, sweet retirement. At my Belmont internship I've been trying to find "Personal Mission Statement" development exercises, and so when I find one I do it to see if it's worthwhile. And these exercises always ask questions along these lines: describe your perfect day, or if money were no object what would you do with your life? And with my parents' upcoming retirements I've been thinking about it with more of a if-you-could-retire-what-would-you-do-? type of way. What would I do if I could just stop working?
What would I do if I had zero obligations and a decent stash of moolah?
Just something to ponder in your free time... and in the meantime, congratulations on your retirement Dad!

<--Coolin' out with the pops, circa 1985. Nice specs.
P.S. This is what I would do with zero obligations and plenty of moolah: I would exercise, I would take baking and cooking classes, I would study the Bible and do more at church, I would read all of the books on Mrs. Wagner's must-read booklist from high school and then some, I would catch up on all the movies everyone talks about that I haven't ever seen, I would ski when possible, and I would just try to keep myself occupied. Oh and I would nap. That's a big one. And then I'd get bored and go find some work!
2 comments:
My dad retired a couple of years ago, and my mom just retired two weeks ago.. so I too have been pondering such a question.
Plus, I don't have a real job right now, so I've been pondering what real job would make me happiest. It's tough one.
I'm thinking about blogging... as a career. Weird, huh?
Bert.
NAP! said she who only slept from 4-6 AM the first 6 weeks of her life! And then we had to practically tie you down to nap. And to get you to bed at night was another thing. Remember how you made your dad sit in the chair at the end of the hall so you could watch what he did until you feel asleep? And he fell for it!
Worn out Mom
Post a Comment