August 29, 2006

The Great Library Adventure

So here’s a story about my evening, get pumped – it’s a bit lengthy for a blog, but it’s exciting. Went through what is now to become The Usual Routine – library in the morning, work all afternoon, and then some down time (or, as in today’s case, a workout), dinner, probably not showering, and then off to something else. Tonight, I went to the library. Now, there are tons of libraries on campus, and prior to tonight I had only visited the Central Library (you saw a picture before, of the cold and lonely study carrel), the Peabody Library on my college’s campus (aka The Loudest Library Ever, because they’ve been doing some sort of outside cleaning or renovation to it, in addition to the fact that it is directly across the street from the Medical Center’s helicopter landing pad), and the Law Library at my place of employment (really nice, but law students are pretty intimidating, especially when I’m supposed to be the registration advisor to some of them in the upcoming months – I’m not afraid to admit I’m scared haha). So tonight, I wanted to go to the Central Library, give it another shot to not be so cold and callous. Parking – that’s a whole ‘nother story entirely, but to make a long story short, this morning I found a lot I can park in that’s about 8 minutes closer to my work than where I had previously parked 18 minutes away, and after 4 pm I can park anywhere – is out towards the back of the library, and this morning I noticed a back entrance to the library. There were too many people around this morning for me to attempt a new route without risking embarrassment, but under cover of darkness I was feeling much more adventuresome.

Well. I walk in this back door, and NOTHING is familiar. It doesn’t look like it’s even the same building at the Central Library (and actually, it’s quite acceptable, with cozy little tables, nice decorations, cute study carrels, etc.). And there are people in the little lobby, so naturally I pretend that I know what I’m doing and find the closest stairway to see if I can just go to another floor and have it magically turn into what I know.


This picture is of me 100% lost in the library. Also, 100% grody, because I didn't shower after I ran that afternoon, but shhh.



I’m talking I-can’t-even-find-the-stairs-I-took-to-get-down-here lost. L-O-S-T. It was absolutely hilarious, I kept laughing (out loud – but no one else was idiotic enough to be down there anyway so it was ok) and talking aloud to no one, to keep myself company.

Finally found the stairs back up, and then wandered around on the lobby floor for a bit, trying to find different stairs that would take me somewhere. No such luck. So, seeing a fairly cozy study table in close proximity to computers, I took up residence in what I had by now determined to be the Divinity Library. Huh. After much thought, I’ve determined that I might like to hang out here more often – I imagine male Divinity students to be quite acceptable where male Law students and male Undergrads (we’re talking stereotypes here, I’m not passing judgment at all because honestly I haven’t met anyone yet to prove or disprove the stereotype) might not be, and let’s face it, males in my Education school are few and far between. [Note: I’m being a little facetious here, but you must admit I have a point.]

Anyway, so eventually I can’t focus and I relocate to the Central Library by exiting (honestly, after some wrong turns) the Divinity Library the way I came in and going around to the main Central Library entrance. My new mission is to find where they connect, because it’s clear that they do – somehow.

Then, upon leaving the library later, I discovered something amazing.

I don’t know why I didn’t realize this before, but there is a Ben & Jerry’s Ice Cream Shop directly across the street from the library. Some businessman was thinking on his toes. Actually, I’d put money on saying that it was a businesswoman who knew to strategically put that Ben & Jerry’s right there where we’d need it. Very smart and quite compassionate, really; everyone woman knows that Ben and Jerry are the most loyal men in her life, always there make-better any mood we’re in. I’d be willing to bet that in my lifetime, these two men will never be more than a simple car ride away from me when I need them. Conveniently enough, there’s also a Panera Bread to satisfy our carbohydrate cravings, a Starbucks for when we want to be stylishly caffeinated, and a SATco for when we just need a beer and a taco. And tonight, I dip into my Kroger-brand ice cream (you thought I bought the Ben & Jerry’s, didn’t you?) with a cheers to libraries.


Cheers,
La <3>


p.s. I like this a lot... having a blog is a lot like having my column with K-ris Junior year, it's a good way to get the creative energy flowing with a potential audience. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

and just so you know... i'm reading and i'm loving... because it fulfills both my stalker tendencies and gives me my quasi-daily dose of miss laura j humor : )